Keep track of the adventure.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Back from Bilbao

Bilboa was pretty cool. I think this is a safe comparison... Bilbao is to Santander as Eugene is to Corvallis. By that I mean a few things. First, Bilbao is bigger. It´s also got a more artsy feel to it. But most importantly, downtown Bilbao is full of hippies. I kid you not. Downtown Bilbao (Casco Viejo as it´s called) is a bit odd. There are bars with dozens of picture frames hung on the walls to either commemorate, celebrate, or immortalize all the imprisoned Basque radicals who have connection with the ETA (a Basque terrorist organizion). I didn´t feel unsafe there...no, not at all, but I did sense the much more liberal nature of the town, or at least the downtown area.

I´ll get some pictures up, but I left the battery for my camera in my room, so I can´t upload anything yet.

But the Guggenheim museum was a trip and a half. Now that place is unique...to put it mildly. I actually got nauseous walking in and around it, not just because of the architecture, but also because of some of the intensely large exhibits that you could walk through that did a fine job of throwing your equilibrium off.

Well, I think I´ll spend more time updating when I get these pictures loaded. For now, I´m going to make some phone calls.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool Jas! Amanda stopped by and we were looking at the pics of the place together and i saw that big pic of that Spider and i think i shreaked a little. lol freaky man, just freaky. thats totaly sweet that you got to see all that!