Keep track of the adventure.

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Sunday at Church

This morning, Sunday morning, I went to a different christian church. It was tucked in amongst all the buildings as if it was a café, but the inside felt more like a church back home than the other did. Everyone there was super glad to see us (my friend Natalie and I went). There were lots of little kids too, which helped give the church a lot of life. I got to meet a young Spanish girl named Jenifer (a very American name) and I greeted her with the standard double cheek kiss, then Natalie did the same. She´s 12 and goes to school here in Santander. She was always there to help N (I hope everyone´s ok with my rather lazy name abreviations) and I to find the right worship song in our booklets. We had a great time of worship though. We actual sang the spanish versions of Come, Now Is the Time To Worship, and Shout To the Lord. I really enjoyed it. Afterwards, we talked with this American at school here in town named Brett from (this one´s for you Carter family) Tennessee. He´s got the genuine accent to. Well he and I are going to try and start an English Bible study, and it´s perfect that I have my guitar here.

Well, I didn´t do too much this weekend. I did, however, meet up with a few of my local buddies I´m friends with now to watch a game. That means we watched soccer. Actually we were at the Celtic Tavern, and afterwards we played a game of darts then headed out to grab some grub. I wasn´t hungry though because I had just dined rather like a king at my house. But I did enjoy some Sangria (a very juice-like wine).

Oh yeah, and the night before there were some French sailors who were docked in port, and they were out of control. Half of them were drunk, barely any of them spoke spanish, but some could mumble a bit of English. They were being perverts with some of the American girls from OSU, so we quickly became disenchanted with them and decided to vacate to our favorite bar, Bhengala, but the French sleazeballs followed us. I suppose I never got bothered personally, but it really ticked me off seeing some of our girls give into their crap. Not cool, but those girls are adults and if they don´t want us trying to protect them (which they tell us they don´t), then the rest of us guys are only going to feel bad/mad, but not responsible, when they do stuff they regret. Anyways, I´ll get off that subject. I did, on a bright note, enjoy talking in French with some of them. I feel like I´ve gotten a bit worse at it since I had my summer class at the U of O, but it started coming back. I love that langauge. But what a dumb bunch they were. Sailors aren´t the most moral and gentle people in the world (back me up on that one, Dad). I guess that´s why foul mouthed people are said to curse like sailors. Au Revoir to those guys.

Well, I´m going to post 2 pictures I took of the sky as the sun was setting. It was a firey red I really couldn´t resist capturing for everyone back home. In bewteen churches and buildings made for a cool shot too.

Santander Twilight 1
Santander Twilight 2

Well, I don´t have a ton to do tonight...no homework this weekend. I might start planning a trip to Ireland if that´s at all possible. Cross your fingers everyone. I´ll have everyone I know in Ireland (which is no one) start kissing the Blarney Stone. I´ll get there...one way or another!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Son,
Great news about the church, what do they call themselves? Did you get to speak to the Pastor? We have also been wondering if you are getting many opportunities to play your guitar? It sounds like you are finding that Spain is a different country but that the people are about the same, even the sailors. The only exception is that on the masts of the French ships they fly the White flag!! We on the other hand "Speak Softly But Carry A BIG Stick!!":)Remember that the faces change but the hearts are the same. Keep the stories coming we are enjoying them very much.
Love, Dad.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jason,

Sitting here looking at your pix and enjoying your trip vicariously. Man, looks like you're having a blast. We really miss having you aorund here, but we're happy you have the opportunity to do this. Kathy and I are praying for you each day. It has become a morning ritual for me to come into the office, read your post while I have my morning coffee and spend some time praying for you. I'm sure you are aware you are serving as an incredible witness for Jesus and his love to the lives you are intersecting. Stay true.

Blessings,
Larry Carter